Sayers Common Church Hall
Date(s) - 10-April-2019 to 12-April-2019
9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Sayers Common Church Hall
When will the next course be? Wednesday 10th – Friday 12th April 2019, 9am – 3pm (3.30pm on Friday). There will be two nice long breaks each day to keep the writers on top form. Friends and family are invited to join us from 3pm until approximately 3.30pm on day 3, to hear some of the children’s work read out.
Where will it be? Sayers Common Church Hall
What does it cost? £80/person (or apply by 28th February to claim the 15% discount and pay just £68)
Who is it for? Children with a passion for writing who are in Key Stage 3, i.e. Year 7, 8 or 9.
Who is running it? My name’s Ruby Cooper. I achieved a first-class BA in English and Related Literature at York University in 2015. Since April 2017, I’ve been working at The Weald Community School, delivering literacy intervention lessons to small groups of Year 7s, 8s and 9s. I have an Enhanced DBS Certificate (Disclosure and Barring Service, formerly Criminal Records Bureau or CRB).
What will be covered? The course focuses on descriptive writing, covering such topics as synonyms, sensory details, ‘showing’ and ‘telling’, figurative language, ‘phonoaesthetics’ and sound devices. We will explore these skills through a wide variety of activities, striking a good balance between writing tasks and ‘skills builder’ activities.
The children will have a chance to try their hand at descriptive writing in its many different forms: descriptions of places, people, objects and experiences; non-fiction, fiction and poetry; descriptive passages and interwoven description. The children will have lots of opportunities to read their compositions to the rest of the group, but will never be pressurised to do so.
I seek to deliver a course that is inspiring, enriching and memorable, and succeeds in giving the students a clear and accessible introduction to some reasonably advanced concepts.
Why apply to the course?
- It has excellent reviews – see the website: www.youngwriters-sussex.com
- It will be packed with variety and creativity and delivered by a passionate teacher;
- It is a great source of brain exercise, which can somewhat go out the window during the school holidays;
- For a chance to meet new, like-minded people and make new friends;
- The groups will be small – approximately 7 children;
- The techniques and skills learnt will prove valuable in English lessons and beyond!
How do I apply?
1. Go to www.youngwriters-sussex.com
2. Click on the application form button to open the form.
3. Print the form and fill it in by hand.
4. Email a clear scan or photograph of the completed form to click to contact. Alternatively, post the completed form to 9 Clappers Lane, Fulking, West Sussex, BN5 9ND. I will be in contact once I have received your application.
Please note that places are limited, so early booking is recommended.
What if I have more questions? Please do not hesitate to contact me. My email address is [email protected] my phone number is 07446 882325, and my Facebook username is @rubyswritingcourse.