- Acclaimed trail returns for the sixth year with over 800 glowing lanterns
- More than 10 artists are creating magical installations for the trail
- For the first time a unique atmospheric soundscape will take visitors on a journey through the winter landscape
- Wakehurst is home to the UK’s tallest living Christmas tree, decorated with 1,800 lights
As the winter evenings draw in, Glow Wild returns, with hundreds of glowing lanterns, fire torches, soundscapes and projections covering Wakehurst’s unique and picturesque landscape. The must-see winter event is set to be a showstopper with the UK’s tallest Christmas tree at the heart of the trail and an 8ft moon lantern towering above the Black Pond surrounded by a galaxy of stars.
More than 10 artists have created installations that can be found along the magical trail, including willow tunnels with dancing shadows by renowned sculptor Tom Hare. New this year, a bespoke atmospheric soundscape, created by Brighton based artists Ithaca, will guide visitors along their journey through the wintry landscape.
This year’s trail has been inspired by over 500 acres of botanic collections and explores the resilience of trees. Visitors can wind their way through a newly designed winter treescape, spot seed-shaped lanterns and marvel at the mesmerising projection on the Mansion created by artist and producer Jony Easterby.
Glow Wild’s creative lead, Iain Parkinson says: “Glow Wild is now a must-see event in the region, and the Wakehurst team have been busy behind the scenes to make it more exciting than ever – it takes over 600 hours of staff and volunteer time to make over 800 lanterns by hand, and we also invite local schools to get involved. I hope in its sixth year, Glow Wild will continue to delight visitors with new artists, a festive atmosphere and the beauty of Wakehurst after dark.”
Booking is essential
- Adult: £15
- Child (Ages 4-16): £9
- Kew and Wakehurst Member Adult: £13
- Kew and Wakehurst Member Family: £42
- Free for under 4s and carers
- Carparking is included in the price
More information: https://www.kew.org/wakehurst/whats-on/glow-wild-2019