The children of St Paul’s Primary School in Thames Ditton worked together to win first place overall at the Esher District Sports competition held on 4 July 2019.
St. Paul’s took 1st Place in Field Events and 2nd Place in Track Events to win the Championship trophy for the overall competition beating ten other local schools. Congratulations to the students who individually achieved:
- Year 3 girls: 1st Place long distance, 1st place sprint,
- Year 4 girls: 1st place ball throw, 2nd place long distance
- Year 3/4 girls 1st place relay team
- Year 5 Girls: 1st place high jump, 3rd place ball throw
- Year 5 Boys: 2nd place long jump, 3rd place ball throw
- Year 6 Girls: 1st place ball throw, 2nd place long jump, 3rd place sprint
- Year 5/6 Girls: 2nd place relay team
- Year 6 Boys: 1st place sprint, 1st place long jump, 3rd place long distance
“They were both gracious in winning and magnanimous in defeat. They supported each other and often ran alongside those competing, cheering their team mates on,” commented one parent. Another parent noted that St. Paul’s was the only school to gather in a circle and in arms before competing.
Headteacher Mrs Olivia DeMorais said “I am phenomenally proud of the children and all they have achieved; their determination, resilience and supportive nature shines through in all they do. The sense of the strong community of St Paul’s is palpable at events such as these, and I am honoured to work with such wonderful pupils and parents”
Miss McDonald, Head of PE for St. Paul’s, said “I’ve enjoyed both supporting participation and providing opportunity for competition across all of the year groups. I’m working to ensure that sport is embedded in the life of the school.”
Huge congratulations to all the St. Paul’s pupils for their tremendous achievements and to all of the staff and parents who supported the event.