The Eastbourne Wealden and Lewes franchise of Family Grapevine is up for sale, and offers a fabulous long-term opportunity for someone to take on an established business that fits around family time, is very flexible, and gives back to our community. Buying an existing franchise means that you already have a loyal customer base and will have sales already in the bank from day one.
Why’s it up for sale?
Our current editor Katie has had a fantastic 2.5 years with the business but is ready to start a new chapter in her family life, perhaps just like you are! Katie’s ready to move on straight away, so you could be starting your new business training as early as next month or if Winter suits you better then that’s fine too.
What could I earn?
All our editors make money by selling advertising. Your main operating expense will be printing, followed by postage, telephone, other office expenses (such as stationery) and petrol for distribution (3 times a year). Everything left over is profit. We can’t and won’t guarantee your earnings. We will only tell you that great things can be achieved with dedication and enthusiasm. Only one person can make your business succeed, and that’s you! You control your overheads to make sure you take home what you need from your business.
If you devote time and energy to your business you will eventually be able to achieve a substantial income. Our top editors turn over in the region of £40-£50,000 per annum. Buying an established business means that you will be making a profit straight away, and can use this profit to purchase the business.
What’s it like to be an editor?
The job can be very rewarding, creative, and sometimes occasionally frustrating. Our editors all know that they do an extremely worthwhile job that allows each of us to provide valuable information for the community. We are all really proud of what we do.
Most of the work happens during school term times meaning you have the majority of the holidays with your family. We produce three issues each year that come out in early March, July and November. You’re responsible for every aspect of your magazine business, including research, assessing the competition, marketing, building up leads and contacts, selling and designing adverts, preparing each edition for press, administration, accounts and distributing copies.
Most editors carry out every task themselves, some subcontract some elements or make use of our central services teams (especially for advert design and magazine layout) and some run the business as a husband and wife team.
Can I afford to buy a business?
Buying an established business is an investment in your future, and when you buy an established business you are already benefiting from years of hard work – customers at the ready, sales already made, watertight procedures and a great reputation, plus a huge amount of marketing already done. Like any business, when you start up you will earn less than you would in an employed job whilst you pay off the cost of buying the business and any setup costs – perhaps you’ll need a new computer for example. But after you’ve bought the business outright, every penny of profit is yours and your earnings are unlimited.
The cost of the business might sound high if you have never done anything like this before, but you will be creating yourself a job for life it that’s what you want! You can pay for the franchise over the course of a year for the business too, making each payment very manageable and affordable and the payments will come straight from your sales and profit. You might consider a loan instead so that you can take some extra profit out of the business straight away, or you may have some savings you can fall back on if you need to while you find your feet. When we accommodate a sale of a franchise we try to be as flexible as possible to make it work well for both the existing editor and the new buyer.
What do I get when I buy the Eastbourne, Wealden and Lewes franchise?
• Exclusive rights to operate the Business within the Eastbourne, Wealden & Lewes territory
• A well-established and recognised title in many areas of the country
• A website specifically for your area including all the past content
• Ownership of the already popular social media channels for your territory
• An email address, for example [email protected]
• Marketing for your area from the main website
• The benefit of cross-group advertising sales
• A comprehensive customer relationship management database specifically designed for our business. This has all facilities you require for entering and printing your collected research data, controlling your distribution, providing customer information to assist you selling adverts and marketing your business. The Eastbourne database has over 3000 contacts in it which you will be given access to.
• A library of all past advertiser’s artwork and booking history, for a seamless handover
• An agreed distribution network of 350 different establishments
• Email and letter templates to use to help you run the business
• A comprehensive business guide and full training, especially leading up to your first publication
• Peer to peer support. It is invaluable to be able to ask questions of people who have been editors for many years.
What do I do next?
Do you believe you’ve got what it takes? Are you excited because you can see the potential?
Please contact Genevieve on 01372 209200 or email
[email protected] for an informal discussion about whether this is the right opportunity for you.