Thomas Bennett Community College
26 Ashdown Drive
Date(s) - 17-October-2019 to 14-November-2019
9:30 am - 11:30 am
Thomas Bennett Community College
Welcome to DICE – Dice is a supportive, non-judgemental programme for parents and carers who are concerned about their children’s safety. It could be that their child/children are showing signs of risk taking and/or vulnerability. Vulnerability can lead to exploitation. DICE helps parents/carers learn more about exploitation, including recognising the signs, so that they can help to keep their child safer. Single parents are very welcome to bring someone along from their support network, if they would like to.
Child exploitation occurs when a young person is groomed into a relationship or friendship with a person or a group of people who have some form of power over them. They might be groomed into a sexual relationship, or they might be coerced into criminal behaviours. Any child can be a victim of exploitation, and they can be targeted in a number of ways, both online and offline. Many children are unaware that they are being exploited, and many parents/carers are unsure of the signs to look out for or ways in which they can protect their children from this form of abuse.
Following on from the success of our DICE programme in Bradford, we are pleased to be launching a series of free courses throughout West Sussex.
What is DICE?
Dice is a four week parenting programme delivered over two hour workshop sessions by two trained Barnardo’s project leaders. The course includes refreshments, plus tea/coffee breaks. Each session will be relaxed and informal, with a variety of activities, discussions and videos. There will be a maximum of 12 parents/carers, providing an ideal opportunity to meet others in similar situations and to share and learn in a caring, non-judgmental, confidential and safe setting.
- Introductions and thinking about the life of a teenager, including; stresses and worries, behaviours, brain development, building positive and non-judgemental family communication.
- The exploitation of children and young people, including the cycle of grooming and different models of exploitation. How do parents make the ‘pull’ of home greater, as a counter measure against being exploited? Children’s rights and family values explored.
- Digital dangers – In partnership with Veritas from Brighton (Cyber Security Specialist). Practical solutions/ideas to help keep your child safer on-line and on digital devices.
- The importance of self-esteem and praise for your teen’s well-being and positive decision making. Parenting top tips and identifying supports/services available in the locality.
Course venues coming up from September onwards include:
- East Grinstead – 11th,18th, 25th Sept & 2 Oct
- Worthing – 12th, 19th 26th Sept & 3 Oct
- Bognor Regis – 15th & 22nd Oct, 5th & 12th Nov (no session in Oct half term)
- Crawley – 17th &24th Oct, 7 & 14th Nov (no session in Oct half term)
- Littlehampton – 19th & 26th Nov, 3 & 10th Dec
- Pulborough – 21st & 28th Nov, 5th & 12th Dec
How to book a place on the DICE Course …..
Email; [email protected] to reserve a place. A ‘book a place’ form will need to be completed, this can be sent via email.
To find out further details contact: [email protected] (07892 756 943)