From Earth: Create Your Own Natural Apothecary by Charlotte Rasmussen is a great read and a must-have reference book for anyone interested in going down the route of a more natural and cleaner way of looking after their health, skin and hair.
How many of us have been frustrated at the unintelligible list of ingredients of our body creams, and wish to go back to simpler, with no nasty chemicals, and less wasteful way of taking care of our skin, hair and health?
My main takes are:
1) We wash too often which depletes our skin/hair of their natural way of regulating itself – this is a good news on the front of trying to save energy and water… you don’t have to shower every day! Though a quick daily wash of the ‘smelly’ parts with a flannel is still (highly) recommended!
2) Herbs, flowers, roots have amazing properties - no wonder it has been used for centuries! They can help maintain a good health and are a remedy for all sorts of conditions. Though a note of warning, essential oils are, for most, not recommended for pregnant women and the author always gives an alternative remedy recipe, so don’t worry! and for those who have a pooch or a cat, it is worth checking before switching on that diffuser as many essential oils can be harmful to them.
3) Creating your own Family Apothecary is easy following the tips outlined in Charlotte Rasmussen’s book. It is definitely something I will aim to gradually build, to create remedies to relieve bumps, bruises, colds, skin rash, headaches, insomnia but also acne treatment (handy with a teen in the house!) or to simply help you relax!
I have attempted to make my own cream/balm before with the idea of moving to a more natural way of healing/moisturising but was unsuccessfully and I am really eager to have a go again now that I have a comprehensive guide on hand. I am even considering gathering some friends with the same interest and why not organising a ‘balm-making-party’! This has also inspired me to think of what herbs and flowers to grow this spring!
So, if you know anyone interested in natural remedies, this book is beautifully presented and would be a great gift that will keep on giving… and Christmas is just around the corner – just saying 😉!
[image credit: Brighton & Hove Family Grapevine]
GETTING BACK TO MOTHER NATURE WITH NATURAL REMEDIES FOR YOUR SKIN AND HAIR
NEW BOOK: From Earth: Create Your Own Natural Apothecary
by Charlotte Rasmussen, published by Rockpool Publishing.
The market is saturated with skin and hair products full of chemicals, preservatives and code numbers that most of us don’t understand the meaning of. We are unaware of what we are actually putting on our skin or the potential harm that these products could have on our health.
Instead of buying products filled with unintelligible chemicals, new book From Earth, shows readers how to use natural resources to make their own homemade products to care for their skin, hair and overall health and wellbeing.
Whether you have dry skin, greasy hair, a blocked-up nose or just want to create a relaxing fragrance for your home, this book provides a wealth of expert recipes to care for all your needs from body butters and herbal teas to decongestants for children.
Packed full of amazing recipes for all the family this book also:
- reveals the natural benefits and properties in various roots, flowers, herbs found all over the world.
- Shares simple steps to use carrier oils, essential oils and butters
- is full of practical tips on how to make your own soaps and shampoos without nasty chemicals or parabens.
Inspired by the author Charlotte Rasmussen’s Scandinavian upbringing and the botanicals she discovered after moving to Australia, this is a perfect guide for anyone wanting to find a more holistic way of life. With easy, step-by-step instructions, beautiful photographs and straightforward advice, readers can easily and quickly create their own natural apothecary using readily available ingredients.
From Earth: Create Your Own Natural Apothecary by Charlotte Rasmussen, published by Rockpool Publishing, on 4th August 2022, priced £18.99